Monday, November 26, 2007

Hannukah AND Christmas: loads-o-gifts

Betsy Fried
Growing up in a family that does both Hannukah and Christmas means that everyone is going crazy during the holiday times. I'm not sure how my parents ever survived the eight nights of gifts and trying not to burn down the house with the menorah, followed by my sister and I hardly sleeping and waking them up at the crack of dawn on Christmas. Therefore, I really only have the traditional Santa memories of leaving him cookies (and celery for the reindeer) and getting a note from him on Christmas morning.

Okay, so maybe that part isn't so important, but it leads up to this, my favorite Santa memory...

I've recently discovered that a person I know, who shall remain nameless, dresses up as Santa Claus each and every year, and goes to visit the kids in his neighborhood. The parents of the children e-mail him information on what the children have been up to, and when "Santa" starts asking about the ongoings of their lives, their faces light up so very much. I really feel that this embodies the true spirit of Christmas, the altruism of giving without needing to receive, and therefore it's my favorite Santa memory!

No comments: